Never heard of a London Fog? I hadn't either until my very hip and cool thirteen year old daughter filled me in. She's helpful like that. A London Fog is one of Starbucks new tea lattes, though according to all the info. I found while snooping around the net, a London Fog is not original to Starbucks, but to the Northwest in general, probably B.C. in particular. Starbucks decided they had better get in on the action when so many of their patrons began asking for them.
Here is the Starbucks official description of this lovely concoction:
"London Fog Tea Latte
Full leaf black tea with citrusy Italian Bergamot and a hint of lavender. Sweetened with vanilla syrup and topped with steamed milk and velvety foam."
Doesn't that sound wonderful? Lovely even? Okay, so after talking to my hip and cool thirteen year old on Saturday, I made my way to the local Starbucks and had myself a London Fog. It was good...but I felt a little disappointment. I was expecting a little more lavender....a little more loveliness...because you know I'm a lavender lover. However, I was impressed by the aroma...very lovely indeed.
I thought maybe because I live out in a little po'dunk town no one every heard of, the barista didn't make it right...didn't add enough of the vanilla and lavender I was craving. I decided I'd try making one myself at home.
When I opened my tea cupboard I was pleasantly surprised to find I had a box of Earl Grey....Bigelow brand. Starbucks uses Tazo. I ripped open the individually sealed flavor-protecting pouch and the wonderful aroma of the bergamot (type of citrus) and the light loveliness of the lavender greeted me. Next, I warmed some milk in a pan adding maybe a tablespoon of sugar and a generous pouring of vanilla. When it was satisfactorily hot I poured the milk into a mug containing 2 Earl Grey tea bags. I let it steep....wondering if I should add some lavender syrup. But no, it was perfect. I don't know if Bigelow vs. Tazo made the difference or if it was because I used two tea bags instead of the one, but the difference was night and day....pure loveliness in a mug. Now if I had a milk steamer to add the velvety foam on top it would be perfect!
Here is the Starbucks official description of this lovely concoction:
"London Fog Tea Latte
Full leaf black tea with citrusy Italian Bergamot and a hint of lavender. Sweetened with vanilla syrup and topped with steamed milk and velvety foam."
Doesn't that sound wonderful? Lovely even? Okay, so after talking to my hip and cool thirteen year old on Saturday, I made my way to the local Starbucks and had myself a London Fog. It was good...but I felt a little disappointment. I was expecting a little more lavender....a little more loveliness...because you know I'm a lavender lover. However, I was impressed by the aroma...very lovely indeed.
I thought maybe because I live out in a little po'dunk town no one every heard of, the barista didn't make it right...didn't add enough of the vanilla and lavender I was craving. I decided I'd try making one myself at home.
When I opened my tea cupboard I was pleasantly surprised to find I had a box of Earl Grey....Bigelow brand. Starbucks uses Tazo. I ripped open the individually sealed flavor-protecting pouch and the wonderful aroma of the bergamot (type of citrus) and the light loveliness of the lavender greeted me. Next, I warmed some milk in a pan adding maybe a tablespoon of sugar and a generous pouring of vanilla. When it was satisfactorily hot I poured the milk into a mug containing 2 Earl Grey tea bags. I let it steep....wondering if I should add some lavender syrup. But no, it was perfect. I don't know if Bigelow vs. Tazo made the difference or if it was because I used two tea bags instead of the one, but the difference was night and day....pure loveliness in a mug. Now if I had a milk steamer to add the velvety foam on top it would be perfect!




3 comments:
Oh my goodness! Sounds like you have a very adventerous and wise thirteen year old daughter! :o)
Lavender syrup? Miss M says you make it. I think you should blog making it, or at least the recipe. Oh at least tell ME how to do it!
Oh I LOVE London Fog Lattes! I'm so glad to have some family share my obsession...when I had my mom and sisters try it they were not big fans. I think my mom gagged a little;) Glad to know I have fellow tea drinkers on this side of the family!
I've never tasted the London Fog, but one of our last days in San Diego we stopped by Starbucks. Since I don't like coffee I tried the Vanilla Latte one. Can't remember the name. It was delicious though. You ladies are so creative. What's this I hear about lavender syrup?
Post a Comment