Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pistou...It's French for Yum


Pistou is the French version of the Italian's pesto. I love them both, but since I don't have any pine nuts or walnuts on hand, I'll be making the Frechy's version. The basil has done well this year and I'm excited to make this much loved dish for my flamily (as Zach used to say) for dinner tonight.

The very Provencal way to eat pistou is in Soupe au Pistou...a summertime soup filled with fresh green beans, white beans, squash, potatoes, tomatoes and vermicelli. They also use it as a spread on their bread. Our favorite way to eat pistou~pesto is of course on pasta.


Pistou:
2 cups fresh basil, packed
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts if you want to make pesto

Grate cheese. Wash and dry basil, removing the stems. Place everything into food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Serve as a spread, over pasta or in soup. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds oh so deliciosooo!