Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sweet Sweet Tweet Tweet

In the woods surrounding my house lives this fellow; the Melospiza melodia, or the song sparrow. This territorial little fella sings his song, not merely to entertain me, but to define his 1/2 to 1 1/2 acre territory. And what a pretty song it is too.

See his central dot on his streaked breast? That is what identifies him from other sparrows. A song sparrow always has a central dot with a streaked breast. He sits on the branch of the wild cherry tree and let's me take his picture as he sings. Show off!

When the female arrives he won't sing as much as he will be concentrating on courting some lucky little gal. Or maybe not so lucky. Courtship involves the male diving at the female. Obnoxious males!

You may listen to the song of the Song Sparrow at this great site.
And of course to see this fella up close, just click on the image! :o)

3 comments:

Beth said...

It's funny because your cat has no tail.

Beth said...

I'm sorry...that was NOT me typing. I think your cat is adorable. I'll leave it up to your imagination to figure out who left that comment...

Beanball said...

I thought that was an odd thing for dear, sweet Bethany to say.

The song sparrow is a handsome little guy, isn't he? Now I will know what to look for! I saw some kind of sparrow today. Not sure which kind, tho.