Monday, May 11, 2009

Livi and her Red Hen

Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka were three little girls who lived in Sweden. They had blue eyes and yellow curls, and they looked very much alike. ~Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and the Big Red Hen

Olivia has been enjoying this particular series of books by the Swedish author, Maj Lindman.In this particular book, the three girls care for their Aunts chickens while she is away on vacation. Maisie is a favorite with the girls.


Livi's favorite chicken is Ginger. Ginger chicken is my favorite too, from the local Chinese Palace.


In the story, Flicka, Ricka and Dicka help their father build a coop to keep Maisie and the other chickens in while Aunt Lotta is away. This weekend we began to build a place to keep Ginger and her sister chicks to live. It's not a chicken coop. It's a clubhouse. And no boys, er, I mean roosters allowed!

In the story, The Big Red Hen, Maisie leaves the girls a surprise in the bushes. A nest of newly hatched eggs. I don't want any surprises. These chickens have surprised me already by the amount they poop.

Olivia has also read the stories of the three Swedish boys, Snipp, Snapp, and Snurr by the same author. What's up with these names? I just don't know. I do know that, "today's young readers will find the warm, wholesome stories of these busy, independent children immensely satisfying," just as the back cover said, to be true.

4 comments:

Scott said...

A chicken on the shoulder...that's a first for me! And I like the "No Rooster" rule...I've cracked a few "special" eggs at ma and pa's house...a beak here, an eye there...

Beth said...

I can't wait to see the chicken coop!

Beanball said...

O I was introduced to those books in Bolivia last summer! Very cool! Yes, can't wait to see pics of the coop... er.. I mean, clubhouse :-)

Anonymous said...

So what color did the chicks pick for their playhouse?