Thursday, July 17, 2008

Barns of Dungeness Valley

"Do not let a flattering woman coax and wheedle you and deceive you; she is after your barn." ~ Hesiod







Yes, indeedy. I was after these old barns. But I didn't coax anyone to let me have these photos.....I trespassed. If an angry, gun wielding, farmer should have come out then I would have coaxed and wheedled and flattered. :o) The Dungeness Valley surrounding Sequim is replete with these old barns. And their beauty and stature and grace and history and romance just begs to be photographed.

The area was once a thriving farm and agriculture community dating back to the 1850's. Today, there are less than a dozen working farms or dairies. Catherine Bennett, over at Barns of the Dungeness, has made it her mission to photograph each and every barn in the valley as a way of preserving the history of the area. That's cool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics girl! I've been wanting to go camping again at Dungeness... it's so pretty over there. Now I've really gotta get over there...barns and blue skies! We should go barn shooting together soon...ready, focus, fire!

Anonymous said...

Well I'll be Nancy Girl! You did it again and I am happy for that!

I love your quotes. Wherever do you get them? And your photos! Your pics can pass for haaving been shot by a pro! You are sooooo the best at whatever you do.

Love ya!!!

Nancy said...

Hey Mom, you make me laugh long time. Ü

Beanball said...

That really was a great quote!

I just got an email from a nurse at work with oodles of old barn pictures from New Hampshire, where she was visiting a duaghter at Dartmouth College. They were equally as beautiful, but full of snow instead of blue sky! Somethin' about old barns..... very nostolgic.