Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Music Memories

Ree, over at The Pioneer Woman is extolling the virtues of our favorite musical device, the Zune. Scott has owned his for awhile now, and it is truly an amazing thing. Any and every genre of music from every decade is at your finger tips.

Growing up, my Dad was a big fan of Alabama, Paul Simon and Pink Floyd. I remember my mom listening to Roger Whittaker and John Denver. I know there were many others too, but these are the ones that really stand out in my mind. Whenever I hear Country Roads by John Denver, I can remember my mom driving us to Montesano to visit my grandparents, singing along, right out-loud with prettily painted nails at the wheel. This is one of my earliest memories....I was maybe three or four.

I loved John Denver when he was on the Muppet Show..another classic from the past...and have since purchased John Denver and the Muppets Christmas for my own sweet children to appreciate. When I was in high school, my folks went to hear John Denver sing at the Puyallup Fair. I went along for the elephant ears...not to see John. I mean, come on, how uncool would that be?

There was a boy in my high school that had a John Denver haircut, glasses and the blond hair. He didn't seem to be the nature loving type that JD was but the resemblance was close enough for me to wonder..."does he like hot cakes too?"

When Scott brought the Zune into our home John was one of the first to be downloaded onto my Zune account. I wanted my family to love and appreciate him as much as I do. I spent the summer of '06 listening to Annie's Song, Sunshine on my Shoulders, Take Me Home Country Roads, Rocky Mountain High, Back Home Again (my favorite JD song) and of course Thank God I'm a Country Boy! while gardening and making jams, reading books just because and planning the next school year. I don't know if my kids developed a love for John, and I know Scott isn't that thrilled by his music, but for me it was a beautiful, peaceful summer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, mom I remember that.... I'm kinda with dad.

Anonymous said...

What!!?? You don't like Thank God I'm a Counrty Boy?!! You still like hot cakes don't you? :o(

Anonymous said...

Yah...my 6th grade teacher reminded me of John Denver - I had a crush on him because of that hair cut and the fact that he rode his horse every morning before school. I would stare up at him while he lectured us in the front of the class, I'd hear JD's music playing in the background and imagine we were riding horseback through the countryside...
By the way, lately when you leave a comment over at my blog, for some reason when people click on your link it says your blog is with wordpress and there is an error. maybe you could reset your link when you leave your next comment? Thanks. ;)

Noelle said...

I have to give a shout out to my all time favorite JD song... You Fill Up My Senses (I think that is the proper title) that song makes me want to dance like a dork out in a rain storm. John is a classic but don't tell anyone that I said that... from what I hear at the water cooler it still isn't hip to admit to liking him (I think everyone is a fan deep down somewhere or another)

Anonymous said...

Annie's Song...that's the one you love..written for his wife Annie. Yes, who wouldn't love to have their hubby write them a song like that! Scott has written some sweetp poetry....hmmm, maybe when I get home I'll dig it out and share. Or not. :o)

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog today and listening to what parts of the music came thru, brought tears to my eyes. I still love John Denver and mourn his death. Music is such a powerful thing isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad to hear someone in your family likes JD as much as Sandra and I do. Everyday after work I come to the apartment and turn on John Denver and think of my wife. It makes me feel at home again.

Deric