First, we (and I use that word very loosely here) built the Kauahi Krusher using timber, a jack, PVC pipe, a metal trash can with a spout added and some other hardware stuff.
Scott found the plans online if you want to build one too.
Livi was his helpful helper as usual.
On the day of the Krush, Owen washed apples with the help of a little friend of ours. I bought 15 pounds of apples. It was not nearly enough.
Miss. Livi sliced the apples.
And I chopped them in my food processor. Next year we plan to add an automatic chopper using a garbage disposal. Those plans are online too.
Now we were ready to begin pressing the apples. Scott made three layers using cheese cloth, apples, and circular pieces of plywood. This was layered into the PVC pipe, which sat in the metal can.
Scott then used the jack to press the layers together and the juice started flowing! Notice the wood buring designs Scott added.
And in the mean time, Miss. M. made yummy pumpkin bread.
Once all the apples had been pressedI strained out any little apple bits and bottled it up. Fifteen pounds of apples yielded 3/4 of a gallon. It was a fun and easy project. With just a few tweaks here and there the Kauahi Krusher will be perfected, and then we need only to find an affordable supply of apples. Free is good. :O)




6 comments:
That's very cool! I think Dave has that same saw. LOL Great job guys!
Wow! Beautiful cider, and what a great krusher for the Kauahi's :-) Great job! I love it! We used some homemade presses a couple of times with the jr. high groups we led in the past. Always good times...... this seems perfect for your family!
Awesome! You might be able to get a good price on apples through Azure...Even Luigi really liked this post. Thanks for sharing.
Looks like fun....making stuff that makes stuff is always a good time!
Bravo! Amazing! I'll be out shortely for Apple Cider! As always, you continue to amaze me.
Cool! I'd love to see a close-up of the wood burning designs!
And I have a friend who's dad works for a nursery in eastern Wa, maybe we can work together next fall...I'll bring the free apples, you bring the crusher...I mean Krusher.
Post a Comment