Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Anatomy of a Noodle

Nooo, not your brain silly, but homemade egg noodles. They are so simple and homey, and hearty, and just so good. Start with 2 1/2 cups flour, a pinch of salt, 2 fresh eggs (beaten), 1/2 cup milk, and 1 Tbsp. softened butter. Mix well. Knead and let rest for 10 min.

Next, roll the noodle dough 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch on a flour surface. Cut into desired lengths. Do try to cut them in consistent widths so that they will cook evenly. I use a pizza cutter for this. Let the noodles dry a bit before cooking. I made my noodles around 2:30 and let them dry until I was ready to cook them at dinner time.

Okay, now cook as normal and serve as you would any other pasta. I made chicky-noody soup (as Miss. Livi used to say), full of fresh herbs and vegis. These noodles are good too with a white sauce. Oh my gosh. So good.

As a side note, I used a free range chicken in the soup - it was a bit higher in price per pound than a conventional bird - but worth it to me. Since raising our pet chickens I have come to appreciate the life of the animals that give me the food that I eat. Whether it be a chicken breast, an egg, or a pork chop. I know that a free range bird is a happy bird! And a happy chicken is a healthy, tasty chicken! :O)

6 comments:

Raphania said...

Does that make your "girls" less tasty because they have such a small pen?

Nancy said...

No, they lay beautiful dark yellow-yolked eggs and they are feed TONS of kitchen scraps, bugs and weeds. Commercialy raised hens live in tiny over crowed cages. They are not happy campers! I have no intention of eating the hens we raised...but in the future...when my girls stop laying...after about 18-24 months....they will go into the pot. :O)

Beth said...

That soup looks delicious!!!

And are your girls (the feathered kind) one of the reasons you've been in a painting frenzy?

The Lehmer's said...

I'm thinking about noodles...

I also added a "free printable pattern" to the hat tutorial. Just in case anyone wanted to actually make one. :)

Scott said...

Know what's good with eggs? Yep..you guessed it: bacon. And nothing is worse than not being able to cook bacon while you drive. Luckily, I can at least have the aroma to soothe me. Thanks!

nana said...

your noodles sure look better than the ones I used to make! But they were so tasty! Yours look so good. I want some!