Thursday, June 4, 2009

Totally Lovin' Rhubarb, Man

First of all, when it's as stinking hot has it has been, ya gotta make ice cream. See this ice cream maker? Scott and I picked it up at a garage sale when Zach was a baby. For a dime. It works great and there is always much excitement when it's time to make ice cream. I made Buttermilk Ice Cream. It was awesome.

Look at this bea-u-tiful rhubarb. Why aren't more people excited about rhubarb? I think we should have a National Holiday devoted to rhubarb. Yes. It's that awesome.

This time I made Rhubarb Cornmeal Cake. The recipe came fron Nigella Lawson's cookbook called "How to be a Domestic Goddess." Yep, that's me. No, not really. I'm more like Roseanne Bar. Remember her?

This cake was good. Real good. Make some. Celebrate rhubarb with me. Okay?

Rhubarb Cornmeal Cake:
1 pound 2 oz. rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. fine cornmeal
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilli
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt ( I used vanilla flavored because that is what I had.)
9 in spring form pan, buttered

Preheat oven to 350

Wash, dry, and chop rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. Put into glass bowl and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of sugar. Let sit while preparing the rest of the cake mix. Mix the next 5 ingredients together in another bowl. Beat eggs and add vanilla. In a smaller separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Gradually add the eggs and the yogurt. Add dry ingredients and then the rhubarb. Stir until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45-50 min. let cool in pan on a wire rack 10 min. before unmolding. Serve with vanilla or buttermilk ice cream.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I think I need that cookbook--just because the name makes me laugh! I'm always talking about how I'm so NOT a domestic goddess!

And, by the way, I'm pretty sure that YOU, my friend, would qualify!

Looks delicious!

lauraelizabeth4@outlook.com said...

I have only eaten rhubarb once - a strawberry/rhubarb cookie bar that was FABULOUS - I like your new header - so nice - please show me how to do that, I can't get a picture to fit nicely behind my header.

Ryan said...

Rhubarb ice cream sounds good!