Friday, May 15, 2009

Old Fashioned Rhubarb Crisp

Rhubarb is in season now. Do any of you grow rhubarb in your gardens? I'd like to. My great Granny Moe had rhubarb in hers. She made strawberry rhubarb pie and it was wonderful. My little sprouts had never tasted rhubarb before today. They liked it. And really, what's not to like? Its crisp and tart goodness bakes right up like an apple. Delicious.

Rhubarb Crisp:
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar

In a large bowl combine first six ingredients. Stir until well mixed. Pour into a prepared baking dish.

Topping:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter

In small bowl, stir together the topping mix. Blend with fork until all flour is incorporated. Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Bake 30 min. or until rhubarb is tender. Serve hot from the oven with vanilla or buttermilk ice cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks mighty tasty... and buttermilk icecream - I haven't tried that one, don't think I've even heard of it, do you make it yourself?

Beanball said...

Holy cow! I have TONS of rhubarb. Many plants. Lets dig some up for you this fall or early next spring!

Nancy said...

Awesome, Beanball! We're doin' it!


Michelle, here is a recipe for buttermilk ice cream...really easy if you have an ice cream maker!


http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Buttermilk-Ice-Cream-106659