Sunday, January 18, 2009

In the Shape of a Heart.....

Ooh, is your mouth watering?

Mine is. All over again!

Miss. M found a doughnut recipe an a blog that she follows, and look what she made for us....delicious, homemade, chocolate covered doughnuts in the shape of a heart. How am I supposed to drop 8-10 pounds when she makes yummy treats like these? Everyone agrees they were much better then Safeway's!

Doughnuts:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup butter
1pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3-4 cup flour

Heat milk in a sauce pan until scalded. Add butter, salt and sugar, cool until room temp. In another bowl pour yeast into warm water and let sit until dissolved. Add yeast mix to milk. Gradually mix in flour until no longer sticky to knead. Knead for 6 min. Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for 1 hour. Once risen to at least double in size, turn dough out onto well floured surface. Pat out or roll to 1/2 in. thickness. Cut with cookie cutter or traditional doughnut cutter. Let rise for 1/2 hour. Heat oil on medium high (350) and fry until golden brown. Pat off excess oil and glaze.

Chocolate Glaze:
5 1/3 tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup hot water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine the butter with the powdered sugar in a medium bowl and blend with an electric mixer. Or fork. Add the vanilla and hot water. Mix until smooth.
Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds. Stir, then microwave another 30 seconds and stir again until completely melted. Add to the plain glaze mixture. Blend until smooth.
When the donuts have cooled, dip each top surface into the glaze and then flip over and cool on a plate. Add sprinkles.

7 comments:

LNL said...

Wow, those look great! I love the song, too. :)

Beth said...

Those look B-E-A-Utiful! Better than the store, for sure...

Anonymous said...

I only had 2, 3 would have been better, 4 excellent...etc. etc. etc.

Anonymous said...

Miss M! When are you coming over to my house!?? Yum Yum. My Mom used to make homemade donuts but her recipe was for cake donuts. Afer they were deep fired she would shake them in a bag of sugar......yum-yum. I have used her recipe a time or tow myself.

Love Nana person

Anonymous said...

Miss M! When are you coming over to my house!?? Yum Yum. My Mom used to make homemade donuts but her recipe was for cake donuts. Afer they were deep fired she would shake them in a bag of sugar......yum-yum. I have used her recipe a time or tow myself.

Love Nana person

micaela jean said...

Hey Nana Person, you name the date!I just hope they turn out as yummy as these! :)

Jubilee said...

Mmmm!!! I bet those donuts were yummy. I think I'll make them. Thakns for putting the recipe on the blog!! Well better get started!

Hannah banana