Easy English Muffins:
2 pkg. active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
5 to 6 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 shortening (I used butter)
Cornmeal
In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water (105 to 115 degrees). Add 3 cups flour, sugar, salt, and shotening to yeast, stirring by hand. Mix until all flour in incorporated. Add remaining 2 to 3 cups flour. On floured surface gently knead dough 5 to 6 times or until no longer sticky. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness; cut with floured 3 to 4 inch round cutter. Place rounds in a dish of cornmeal, covering both sides. Plce on ungreased cookie sheet. Let rise in warm place for about 40 minutes.
Heat griddle to 350 d. With spatuala place dough onto littly greased griddle. Brown 8 minutes on each side; cool. Split in half and toast before serving. Spread with butter and homemade raspberyy jam. Or apple butter. Or honey. Or what ever suits your fancy. ;o)
P.S. Next time I make them I plan to roll them out 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick. I'd like to try a sourdough recipe too.




1 comment:
mmmmmm..... gonna afta' try 'em!
Post a Comment