Monday, May 5, 2008

Tasty Crazy Fun!


Saturday we attended the 6th annual Waikiki SPAM Jam....a SPAM-tastic day celebrating Hawaii's undying affection for the quivery, gelantious, pink luncheon meat. The purpose of the event? To raise money for Hawaiian food banks. There was live music, hula dancing, street vendors selling hand crafted items, and lots and lots of SPAM. Top restaurants where serving up new SPAM concoctions. I saw things like SPAMgetti, SPAM katsu (very good), SPAMburgers, SPAM chowder and SPAM ice cream! Just kidding..there was no SPAM ice cream, but I half expected there to be. And of course there was the ever popular, easily attainable, favorite snack of Hawaii, the SPAM musubi!

Okay SPAM fans..it's SPAM trivia time. On Friday I promised a really neat prize to the person that could answer a question regarding all things SPAM! So, this is how it will work: leave your answers in the comments section. If more than one of you(how many readers do I have, maybe 4?) get the correct answer, I will draw a name from the proverbial hat and that lucky dog will be the winner. Okay? It's time to bring it!

Question:
1. Since SPAMs begining in 1937, how many cans of SPAM have been sold WORLD WIDE?
2. Who named SPAM and how much was the prize that he won for doing so?

The Prize:
Your very own SPAM musubi making kit!! Complete with a can of SPAM, the musubi making mold, nori paper(seaweed), the OFFICIAL SPAM cookbook and some Hawiian Host Maui Caramacs. But that's not all, there's more! I will also include my current favorite Hawaiian music cd! Go for it folks!

7 comments:

leilanismom said...

There have been over 7 billion cans of Spam sold worldwide since 1937.

Kenneth Daigneau won $100 for naming Spam.

By the way, my daughter Leilani and her cousins love Spam Musubi since they are so portable and yummy!

Anonymous said...

1. 7 billion cans of spam sold since 1937

2. Kenneth Daigneau won $100

***This is for my boy who LOVES spam. Spam rocks!

Cecilia
I'm on WTM board (daisychics) :)

Anonymous said...

1. Since 1937, Hormel Foods has produced more than 5 billion cans of Spam luncheon meat, with more than 100 million cans added every year.

2.actor Kenneth Daigneau, brother of Hormel's Vice-President at the time.

the only time I remember eating spam was at your house, when your hubby made musubi-andit was quite delish.

Anonymous said...

my answer for #1 was estimated during 2004, and I don't have time to do the math...out the door to band practice!

Ryan said...

1. 6,654,000,000 cans of SPAM have been produced since 1937. The math: 6 billion through 2002, 5 years at 122 million, 44 million this year.

2. Kenneth Daigneau came up with the name and won $100.

Anonymous said...

OK - never eat spam though I grew up with a family from Hawaii that loves spam - can't believe that spam has sold so many cans! I followed some of your links and those Bento lunches are so cute...I'm gonna have to do some of that for Luigi's lunches! Thanks for the tips and good luck to the guessers...

Anonymous said...

Spam.com: Since 1937, 6 billion cans of SPAM® have been sold. And the 7 billion mark will be coming soon.

Wikipedia: Kenneth Daigneau, an actor and the brother of a Hormel vice president, who was given a $100 prize for coming up with the name.
Spam.com: A man named Ken was crowned the official namer of SPAM®. Jay Hormel, the father of SPAM®, held a contest to help find a name for this most delicious meat. SPAM® was selected and Ken received a $100 prize.

My kids and I love SPAM - not a real hit with DH though.