Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ruth 1:6-7...my marriage vow....and homesickness

...."for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me."

That is a powerful piece of scripture to take on at eighteen years of age. And eighteen years later, I still mean it. I can't remember why I chose to have that engraved on the inside of Scotty's wedding band. Maybe being young, optimistic, sure of myself and our love had something to do with it.

Little did I know that through wars (Gulf War I) and rumors of wars, inter-state moves, and now a job that requires Scott to be gone for over a third of each year just how prophetic that it would become or how difficult a vow it would be to keep. But the Lord knew. And He knew I'd try to get out of it.

And that is why I am in Hawaii, when if I could be anywhere in the world right now, I'd wish to be home. But, I am here. I'm here because I wanted to get a jump start on my tan. Because my kids are making awesome memories. Because I love snorkeling. And eating hot malasadas. I love Scott's family. I love Scott. But really I'm here, still here, because I said I would be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

touching. and real.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you. I was just thinking about all that stuff...how does a wife do what she wants and accomplish her goals when her husbands plans take her to strange places? How do I make his goals my goals? I will soon find that out...Thank you for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you Nancy. You have faced things in your marriage that lesser people (myself included) would run from. I KNOW how hard it is at times. Sometimes you may want to just throw in the towel but you don't. You are such an example of a virtuous women..."Her price is far above Rubies" Proverbs 31:10. I thank God for you always. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...you ladies are all so sweet. I can't stop crying...thank you for your encouragement it really means so much to me. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Good job Nancy! I know it's a hard thing. You might find one of these on my blog very soon. We are heading to San Diego leaving June 2 and coming back sometime in November. I won't get to see you before I leave, but I'm glad you have this blog. I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend.